Wednesday, September 30, 2009

BRITTANY NOVOTNY, ESQ THROWS DOWN GAUNTLET FOR GOP INCUMBENT SALLY KERNS



"Rep. Kern has been in the legislature for five years, and rather than focusing on the issues that affect the daily lives of Oklahomans, she has found time to draft legislation condemning international human rights treaties---which has no practical policy effect for Oklahomans. She's bad for business and out of touch."

SAVAGENYC INTERVIEWS TRANSGENDER ATTORNEY AND POLITICAL HOPEFUL BRITTANY NOVOTNY








BRITTANY NOVOTNY
OKLAHOMA CITY ATTORNEY AND DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR OKLAHOMA STATE LEGISLATURE, DISTRICT 84
*******
SAVAGENYC: RUMOR HAS IT THAT YOU'RE EXPLORING A RUN FOR OKLAHOMA STATE LEGISLATURE. IS THAT TRUE?

BN: As of September 27, it is now official

SAVAGENYC: WHY DO YOU WANT TO RUN FOR OFFICE?

BN: There is a lot of great momentum in central Oklahoma right now, with Oklahoma really moving in a positive direction.
Oklahoma needs legislators focused on jobs, education, and transportation issues.

Rep. Kern, the incumbent, has seemed more interested in advancing her own social agenda in her last five years in the legislature than fighting for the needs of the district.
The Journal Record (Oklahoma) described her as bad for business in an editorial this July.

I think the voters of my district want a candidate who will fight for them in the legislature and work to bring good jobs to the state, who will help pass legislation to encourage economic development that will create jobs, and who will work tirelessly to make sure we have safe roads and bridges.
I believe I have the drive, the determination and the dedication to get the job done and give the voters of my district a representative they can count on to represent THEM in the legislature.

SAVAGENYC: IF YOU'RE ELECTED TO THE OKLAHOMA STATE LEGISLATURE, WHAT'S THE FIRST PIECE OF LEGISLATION YOU WOULD DRAFT?

BN: According to a recent report by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, the number of students entering teaching programs in our universities has declined 24% in the last decade. Meanwhile, the number of teachers retiring in the state has seen a rapid increase.
It's expected that nearly half of Oklahoma's public school teachers will retire in the next decade. This is a situation that needs to be addressed. Oklahoma's teachers have the lowest average salaries in the region, so we're having trouble attracting people to the profession.

Oklahoma needs to do what any good business would do to attract qualified and talented employees-----we can increase the starting salaries of our teachers and start taking better care of the people that educate our children

SAVAGENYC: TO WHAT EXTENT DO YOU THINK ATTITUDES TOWARDS GAYS, LESBIANS AND TRANSGENDER PEOPLE HAVE CHANGED?

BN: I've been open and honest about who I am, and I've found my clients, colleagues and family to be great and supportive. However, this campaign is about the voters of the district, and making sure they have a representative who fights for jobs, education and transportation. I believe I have the drive, determination and dedication to do the job and remain focused on the issues that the voters care about.

SAVAGENYC: DO YOU ENCOUNTER BIAS?

BN: My fellow Oklahomans are generally good and friendly folks. I believe they respect people who are honest and real, and are looking for more of that in their elected officials. Just as my job as an attorney is to take on my client's issue and work for the best result for that client, my job as a candidate is to remain focused on the issues that are important to the voters of the district and to do everything I can to achieve the results they expect. I plan to work hard to bring good jobs to the state, to fight for our teachers and help us do more to attract new teachers to our schools, and to make sure we have safe roads and bridges for travel and commerce.

SAVAGENYC: WITNESSING THE UNEXPECTED SUCCESS OF THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN, DO YOU THINK YOUR RUN FOR THE STATE LEGISLATURE MIGHT BE CONSIDERED SUCH A BREATH OF FRESH AIR THAT IT COULD SUCCEED ON ITS SURPRISE FACTOR ALONE?

BN: Ultimately, as I've stated before, this campaign is about the voters of the district and their desire for a representative who fights for their issues----bringing good jobs to the state, improving our education, and making sure we have safe roads and bridges. I'm running because I have the ability to fight for my district in the legislature, and to make sure the voters in my district have an effective representative. Rep. Kern has been in the legislature for five years, and rather than focusing on the issues that affect the daily lives of Oklahomans, she has found time to draft legislation condemning international human rights treaties---which has no practical policy effect for Oklahomans. She's bad for business and out of touch. I think the voters in my district want a representative who is good for business and working to build a brighter future for Oklahoma.

SAVAGENYC: DO YOU SUPPORT SAME-SEX MARRIAGE?

BN: I cannot and will not deny that I have spoken out as favoring marriage equality, but I really don't see that as an issue facing the voters of my district right now. They have spoken on this issue in 2004, and right now we are dealing with a rising unemployment rate, sky-rocketing health care costs, the beginnings of a teacher shortage, and a lot of bridges in need of serious work. I'm running for office because I believe the voters of the district deserve a representative in the legislature who is fighting to bring and keep good jobs in Oklahoma, to make sure we're attracting plenty of of qualified teachers to our classrooms, and to make sure that the bridges and highways we depend on for travel and commerce are well-maintained and safe.

SAVAGENYC: DO YOU HAVE KIDS OR PLAN TO HAVE KIDS?

BN: I'm the youngest of five children, and I have 5 nephews and 1 niece. The biggest drawback of running for office is that there is sometimes just not enough time to see them as much as I'd like. I do have plans to have my own family one day, but I'm taking things one step at a time right now.

SAVAGENYC: HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT?

BN: As I said, I don't believe that is an issue that is of major concern to the voters right now. The voters in my district are looking for a representative who will put personal ideology aside in order to find bi-partisan solutions to the issues we face----a rising unemployment rate, skyrocketing healthcare costs, the beginnings of a teacher shortage, and roads and bridges that are in need of repair. I'm running for office because I believe the voters of the district deserve a representative in the legislature who is fighting to keep good jobs in Oklahoma, to make sure we're attracting plenty of qualified teachers to our classrooms, and to make sure the bridges and highways we depend on for travel and commerce are well-maintained and safe.



SAVAGENYC: MANY TRANSGENDER PEOPLE STRUGGLE JUST TO GET BY, BUT YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AND THRIVED IN A VERY COMPETITIVE FIELD; DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF A ROLE MODEL?


BN: I'm very blessed to have a wonderful group of family and friends who care a lot about me, and have helped me get where I am today. Oklahomans value personal self-responsibility, hard work, and generosity. Coming from a Catholic family, I believe that each one of us has the power to make the world a better place by working hard and being compassionate human beings who make a difference with our actions. I'm going to work hard and show the voters I will fight for them---for jobs, education, and transportation and to build a brighter future for Oklahoma.